Christmas markets in Venice are held for several weeks before Christmas.
In a city built on commerce and proud of its artisan products, you could expect a bustling, impressive Christmas market, or many of them, but that’s not the case. Due to the phenomenon of acqua alta – regular flooding of the squares and streets on Venice in winter, it is more complicated than elsewhere to hold weeks-long street markets here.
However, throughout the town, several markets are installed to offer visitors gifts, gourmet food and spirits, crafts and antiques.
When Are Christmas Markets in Venice Held?
Normally, they start the activity at the beginning of December and end on 24 December, but these dates may vary each year.
Where Are Christmas Markets in Venice Held?
Venetian markets are composed of just several stalls, but you will always be close to the infinite amount of wonderful shops and boutiques that the city is full of.
1. Campo Santo Stefano
The biggest Christmas market of Venice used to be held in Campo Santo Stefano near the Palazzo Grassi, but it hasn’t been confirmed for this year (2019).
2. Campo San Polo
In the largest piazza of Venice, Campo San Polo, there is a picturesque skating rink. Along it, you will find a small Christmas market with traditional Venetian products: lace and glass from the islands of Burano and Murano, carnival masks and other local crafts.
3. Palazzo Zenobio
Palazzo Zenobio is an elegant, upscale indoor Christmas market held in the spectacular rooms of Baroque Venetian palace.
4. All Other Christmas Markets in Venice
The other markets can be found in the following addresses:
- Strada Nuova,
- Campo SS. Apostoli,
- Campo S. Bartolomeo,
- Campo S. Salvador,
- Campo S. Luca.
5. Christmas Markets in Mestre
Mestre is the city in the Italy’s mainland, through which you get to Venice from the land. It is very well connected by train and road, as most of people working in Venice live in Mestre. The town itself is rather charmless, but it’s very easy to get there for a few hours for a big Christmas market there.
- Christmas Market (Mercatino di Natale): 1-28 December 2019, Address: Piazza Ferreto, Mestre
- Christmas Market in Via Allegri: 1 December 2019 – 5 January 2020, Address: Via Allegri, Mestre
- Mercato dei Portici – Christmas Stars: 30 November-1 December, 6-8 December, 13-15 December, 20-22 December 2019, Address: Via Palazzo Mestre, Mestre.
What To Buy in the Christmas Markets in Venice?
In Venice, you can always find beautifully crafted artisan products. Some of our suggestions include the following:
- Artisan Christmas decorations, in particular delicate bulbs made of Murano glass.
- Gourmet Italian food, including excellent cheeses, cold meats, truffles, oliove oil etc.
- Italian spirits: liqueurs (Amaretto, Limoncello etc.) and wine.
See much more suggestions of what to buy in Venice in dedicated article Shopping in Venice.
Typical Italian Sweets on Christmas Markets
These are some delicious classics that you will find in the Christmas period on the markets and in the shops in Venice – you have to try them!
- Sicilian marzipan “fruits” – these extremely beautiful sweets are always present on the Italian Christmas table.
- Panettone – typical yeast dough eaten for Christmas.
- Biscotti buranelli – local cookies.
Venice in Christmas Time
I was twice in Venice in December. I can tell you that you can surely count on the always spectacular atmosphere in this unique town. Just be aware of the possibility of temporary flooding with acqua alta.
The town will be beautifully lit with colourful lights above the canals and in narrow passages. Artisan shops will be splendidly adorned with Christmas decorations.