Costa da Caparica beach is the one of the biggest continuous beaches in Portugal, altogether spanning incredible 30 km! It offers an impressive Atlantic experience very close to Lisbon!
Costa da Caparica beaches are extremely pleasant and quite easy to get to. They offer anything you want: some are equipped with umbrellas and sun beds, others are fully free.
The main part of Costa da Caparica beach is 15 km-long strand divided by beautiful piers in between them. The sections of the beach vary in their character: some are organized for tourists, other more free, there are parts with dunes and parts closer to numerous bars and restaurants.
Read about Praia de São João da Caparica beach – the wildest part of Caparica beaches
Read about The Best Beaches near Lisbon
Fine white sand, Sunset, Bars & restaurants by the ocean, Surfers
Why You’ll Love It
- Iconic view: Crossing the 25 April Bridge with its breathtaking view of Lisbon from the height is a memorable experience!
- Long promenade: Along the beach there is a long promenade with a comfortable boardwalk, great for walking, rollerblades, running, cycling, or just sitting by the ocean.
- Piers: Lovely long stone piers perfect for a walk, for a great photo or for watching surfers from close-by. There are always hundreds of them and it is a really cool spectacle!
- Drinks with a view: It’s an excellent place to have a nice drink in one of numerous bars – again watching surfers or gazing at the ocean.
- Sunset: In the evening it gives you the opportunity to have an unforgettable romantic dinner watching the beautiful sunset from one of many seafood restaurants.
Sports in Costa da Caparica Beach
On some beaches of Costa da Caparica you can play beach volley, the promenade is perfect for biking and rollerskates, but mostly it’s paradise for surfers.
Surfing in Costa da Caparica
You can rent a surf board and hit the waves! Surfing is extremely popular in Portugal, with good conditions both for beginners and advanced surfers.
Surf rentals are open until the evening and on later hours you may negotiate half price for the rental.
Here are good options of surfing or bodyboard lessons:
Surfing and Yoga in Lisbon – Costa da Caparica beach
Lisbon Bodyboard Lessons in Costa da Caparica beach
How to Get to Costa da Caparica
The best option: Express bus for just 5 EUR – Lisbon: Beach Shuttle Service
From Lisbon to Costa da Caparica
Bus TST 161 from Lisbon from the bus stop at Avenida Praça Manuel Da Nóbrega (Praça Do Areeiro – station of green metro line) to the bus stop Costa Da Caparica (Mercado).
From Costa da Caparica to Lisbon
Take the bus TST 161 from the bus station in Avenida Dom Sebastião. It’s the main road along the edge of Costa da Caparica, with the the entrance to the station from Rua Padre Mario Lopes street.
2 buses every hour Monday-Sunday between 8:00-20:00.
Price of the ticket Lisbon-Caparica is €3.20 for a single ticket which is purchased directly from the driver.